Pages

Friday 30 September 2011

Ashes

Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick - 2011


Book 1 of the Ashes series.

Blurb....
Alex has run away and is hiking through the wilderness with her dead parents' ashes, about to say goodbye to the life she no longer wants to live. But then the world suddenly changes. An electromagnetic pulse sweeps through the sky zapping every electronic device and killing the vast majority of adults. For those spared, it's a question of who can be trusted and who has changed... Everyone still alive has turned - some for the better (those who acquired a superhuman sense) while others for the worse (those who acquired a taste for human flesh). Desperate to find out what happened and to avoid the zombies that are on the hunt, Alex meets up with Tom - an Army veteran who escaped one war only to find something worse at home - and Ellie, a young girl whose grandfather was killed by the electromagnetic pulse. This improvised family will have to use every ounce of courage they have just to find food, shelter, while fighting off the 'Changed' and those desperate to stay alive. A tense and involving adventure with shocks and sudden plot twists that will keep teen and adult readers gripped.

I had no idea what this book as truly about. By reading the blurb I thought OK newbie I'll give it a go. Only a couple of chapters in and I'm thinking oh boy. This must be my first foray into zombieland and I'm still not quite sure what I think about it. When I finished reading this story I checked out the reviews and to see when the next installment comes out as the ending leaves you with a massive cliffhanger, but the reviews were mixed. I definately agree that the first half of the book was fast-paced and edgy, however, the second half seemed to get bogged down and left you wondering what the author has planned. Well the last page gives you the answer. I will read the next book and then I think I will make my mind up to see whether I can read the last. Hmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment